Malnutrition And Dehydration
While it is hard to believe, a shocking number of nursing home residents die from complications due to elderly malnutrition and dehydration. Without proper nutrition and hydration numerous health issues can arise.
At the law offices of Prieto, Marigliano, Holbert, & Prieto, LLC, our lawyers represent clients throughout Atlanta who are suffering from malnutrition or dehydration. Serious health issues – such as the following – should not be tolerated when preventing the problem is often as simple as better nutrition:
- A weakened immune system, resulting in higher susceptibility to colds, viruses, the flu and other infections
- Increased likelihood of bed sores
- Dizziness and general weakness, resulting in a higher susceptibility to fainting
- Higher susceptibility to slip-and-fall accidents
- Confusion and memory loss
- Inability to regulate body temperature, resulting in a propensity for overheating, heat-stroke or hypothermia
In some cases, nursing home patients may have specific health conditions that require specialized diets, restricted salt or protein intakes, abstinence from certain foods (like lactose or gluten) or frequent hydration. These specialized needs certainly do not alleviate nursing homes from their duty of reasonable care to provide adequate food and water to every resident. To the contrary, heightened needs that are documented by medical professionals require extra precautions by the facilities and staff members alike to prevent complications.
Is Your Loved One Suffering From The Effects Of Elderly Malnutrition?
Our lawyers hold nursing homes responsible for injuries caused by their negligence. If you or a loved one has sustained an injury or illness resulting from elderly malnutrition or nursing home dehydration, contact an experienced lawyer at our firm to discuss your legal rights.
To contact an attorney at PMHP Law, call us at +1-404-856-0040 or contact our offices in Atlanta by email.